MLMS Community Council Meeting
January 9, 2018, 2018
|3:45 p.m.||Welcome & Approval of December Meeting Minutes||Julie Benson|
|3:50 p.m.||Data Discussion- First Trimester Grade Data||Principal Guymon|
|4:00 p.m.||Standards Based Grading||Principal Guymon|
|4:10 p.m.||School Improvement Plan||Principal Guymon|
|4:40 p.m.||Open Discussion/ Comment||Open|
|4:45 p.m.||Adjournment||Julie Benson|
Mt. Logan Community Council - Minutes
January 9, 2018 - 3:45 P.M.
- Melissa McRae, Julie Benson, Jessica Sanders, Amy Cox, Katie Chapman, Candace
Pratt, Pat Black, Shaunah Allison, Jennifer Duncan, Marian Nielsen, Dave Wind, Jason Thompson,
Renee Shaffer, Karina Trujillo, Melissa Dahle, Karlee Fryer, Daryl Guymon
Approval of December meeting minutes
Motion for approval Shaunah Allison, second Jennifer Duncan
Trustland Budget spreadsheet reviewed and on track for spending goals
Music Instructional Asst Update
Warren Barton has been hired as music instructional assistant
First Trimester Grade Data reviewed- improvements made in some areas, others have
declined- much work needed for increased student proficiency and goal of 0 F grades
Standards Based Grading- Principal Guymon led discussion on pros and cons
See "Flagship Plan" available on Logan City School District website for more specifics
about Professional Learning Communities (PLC) and Assessment and Grading...
Comments from CC Members:
- There is value in receiving credit for getting assignments turned in on time- teaches accountability. If there is no consequence for turning in work late- what does it teach?
- Habits will follow students into the workplace when they get older.
- Will grades be based on mastering content only?
- There will be a separate "grade" for citizenship-just as important as content mastery
- How do you help motivate students to fulfill assignments not graded, yet helps teach content?
- Currently students who don't complete work are given opportunity to do so during school- however the consequence is they miss out on other "fun" activities in order to complete work
- Concern about assignments that are "busy work" and don't help to show mastery of content.
- Students react to knowing if an assignment doesn't count towards grade and therefore don't want to complete assignment, then do poorly on tests
- Students may have mastered content, but are poor test takers- how do we meet their needs?
- How will an "honor roll" play into new grading system?
- How to measure special needs students that may never be able to reach grade mastery?
- Grades based on STAR?
- Critical to get parents, faculty, and community members full support before changing system
School Improvement Plan
CC members need to review the following before our next mtg in February…
- See MLMS website, Parents, Community Council, School Improvement Plan
- Come prepared for February Meeting to create SIP for next year
- Look at schoollandtrust.org- review Appropriate Program Expenditures
- Recommend goals for next year- align goals with CFA data because it's always available -see current SIP and how the uses of money are working to benefit students at MLMS
- Principal Guymon will ask Teachers what their needs/wants are for next yr SIP budget
Next Mtg: Tuesday, February 6, 2018 3:45pm